Theme: The Life of a Tree (tree – paper – tree)
Nyla Eala, designer and SOS board member.
Constructed of Pagosa SUN newspaper, plastic grocery bags, natural materials by SOS board members. LED energy efficient lights added.
SOS’s latest donation to the Ruby Sisson Library. CHECK IT OUT!
When you drop your Coke can or newspaper in the recycling bin, where does it go? Probably halfway around the world to people and places that clean up what you don’t want and turn it into something you can’t wait to buy. In Junkyard Planet, Adam Minter travels deeply into a vast, often hidden, multibillion-dollar industry that’s transforming our economy and environment.
With unmatched access to and insight on the junk trade, Minter traces the export of America’s recyclables and the massive profits that China and other rising nations earn from it. ….(more)
What emerges is an engaging, colorful, and sometimes troubling tale of consumption, innovation, and the ascent of a developing world that recognizes value where Americans don’t. Junkyard Planet reveals that we might need to learn a smarter way to take out the trash.
SOS (Southwest Organization for Sustainability) is a 501c3 non-profit organization. Our Mission is to promote a sustainable community with a primary focus in Pagosa Springs and Archuleta County.
We grew out of a group of environmentally, concerned citizens in Archuleta county, who in 2008 formed the Southwest Organization for Sustainability. Our founder and Chair, Denise Rue-Pastin, is an environmental professional who decided to take action by forming the group after repeated “What can we do?” inquires. Our membership now stands at roughly 150 members.
We are solely supported through membership and donation. Your tax-deductable contribution is greatly appreciated. Click here to learn more about memberships.
- Communicate with and educate the public and elected officials about choices that affect sustainability.
- Undertake and support specific projects that foster sustainability.
- Offer coordination by partnering with a variety of individuals and groups to fulfill community needs.
- Research best practices adopted elsewhere to foster sustainable communities.
- Investigate funding options to support local sustainability efforts.
- Maintain awareness of sustainability efforts in the Four Corners Region.